Returning Customer?

Error: Please enable cookies so you can log on.

Working for Families

What are My Chances of Getting a Refund?

Pretty good. Every day we return thousands of dollars to families owed Working for Families tax credits.

Is It Really Worth Checking If We’re Owed Working for Families Tax Credits for Previous Years?

Absolutely. You’d be surprised how much money is owed to families under the government’s Working for Families tax credit scheme. It’s a few extra forms but most of our customers end up being very glad they made the effort.

Why Do I need IRD Numbers for My Dependent Children?

An IRD number is a unique number issued to your child by Inland Revenue to identify your child. We need this number before we can check whether you and your family are due a Working for Families tax refund.

How Difficult is It to Get an IRD Number for My Children?

There are a few forms to fill out but it’s well worth it. Lots of families receive refunds in the thousands. Who knows? You might all be off on a well-earned fun family holiday.

IRD numbers are issued by post. Once you receive them, log on to your account to email them to the support team so we can process your application.

How Do I Get IRD Numbers for My Children?

Download an IRD Number Application PDF to open and print. Complete and sign the form, and include two forms of ID for both yourself and each child, (see the form for more details) to your local post shop or Automobile Association (AA) office. You’ll usually receive your children’s IRD numbers by post within 10 working days.

Why Do You Need the IRD Number of My Partner?

If two people are living together and have dependent children living at home (regardless of whether the children are from this or previous relationships) they may be entitled to assistance under the government’s Working for Families scheme. Working for Families tax credits take into account all family members, including your personal tax return and that of your partner. Both your IRD numbers are required to accurately calculate any refunds.

What are Working for Families Tax Credits?

Working for Families tax credits (previously called Family Assistance) are a payment for each dependent child aged 18 or younger. This is ongoing financial support for families with children, and is payable by Inland Revenue.

To claim Working for Families tax credits, all children must have an IRD number.

Please download an IRD Number Application PDF. We can only help you claim the Working for Families tax credits you’ve already missed out on. Any future weekly payments are between yourself and Inland Revenue.

What If I’m Already Receiving Working for Families Tax Credits?

That’s good. But you may also be owed refunds for previous tax years. Some families are owed thousands of dollars so it’s well worth checking.

If I Have Dependent Children and Know I’m Not Due Working for Families Tax Credits, Can I Still Apply for a Refund?

Yes, just ignore the tickbox in the application process that authorises us to process your Working for Families calculation.

What is Passive Income?

Passive income includes:

  • Amounts such as interest, dividends, a taxable Maori Authority distribution (but not retirement savings scheme contributions) and replacement payments under a share-lending arrangement.
  • Royalties.
  • Rent.
  • Beneficiary income from a trust (but not beneficiary income that is excluded under the minor beneficiary rule, for example income from a parent’s estate left in trust).
  • Distributions from a listed portfolio investment entity (PIE).
  • Attributed income from a PIE that is not a superannuation fund or retirement savings scheme.

What Entitlements are There for Unsupported Child’s Benefit or Foster Care Allowance?

Caregivers who receive orphan’s and unsupported child’s benefits or foster care allowances are not entitled to claim the family tax credit relating to the child for whom the benefit or allowance is received, but are eligible for the in-work tax credit relating to that child. Both benefits and allowances are not subject to income tax.

Foster care allowances from Child, Youth and Family help reimburse caregivers for the day-to-day costs of fostering a child. These allowances are intended to cover the costs of board, plus personal items such as clothes and pocket money. Amounts vary according to the child’s age and specific special needs. Foster care allowances are made under the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1989.

Orphan’s and unsupported child’s benefits from Work and Income — which are similar to the foster care allowances — are made under the Social Security Act 1964.

What’s Days per Fortnight?

The days per fortnight number is the average days you have a child in your care each two-week period. If it’s at least a third of the time on average, you’re entitled to claim Working for Families (provided the arrangement is intended to last more than 4 months). This is 122 days per year or 5 days per fortnight.

For example: if you have a child for 2 nights every weekend and 4 full weeks (extra 20 nights) in a year, then days per fortnight is “5” (2 days/week × 52 weeks + 20 days = 124 of 364 days — 4.77 per fortnight).

If you need assistance to calculate this, please contact us.

What If I’ve Got a Question About Working for Families That’s Not Covered Here?

Once you’ve created your account, just log on and ask a question by submitting a support request through the online support centre. This lets us track and respond to your requests through your account.

What Do I Need to Do?

Please complete the Working for Families form.

Web design and development by Wired, Christchurch